Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Miracles of Sister Lindley and Mary Barton

A terrible and wonderful event was associated with our recent Sun Ranch Day celebration.  At the conclusion of the evening, as the last cooking of the fry bread was taking place, one of our senior missionaries, Sister Lindley, was assisting. 



Oil had accidentally been spilled on the floor during the cooking process and she slipped and fell onto the grill, her entire arm and hand being immersed in the hot oil.  Immediate medical assistance was provided by several nurses who are serving here.  A young physician visiting the event heard of the accident and also came to give support and direction.  Her hand and arm were immersed in ice water and determination of the extent of the burns was made.  Her hand and arm were already blistering.  I felt sure an immediate and urgent transport to the nearest hospital would be taking place any moment.  As help was administered to prevent her from going further into shock, a more important help was offered.  Her sweet husband administered to her and pronounced a powerful priesthood blessing upon her. She became more stable and the blistering on her hand and arm went away.  The doctor gave instruction of what to do and not do and they were able to leave to go home to their trailer, rather than to the hospital. 

The missionaries gathered together that evening before leaving for our trailers and Elder Fenn offered a powerful and pleading prayer in Sister Lindley's behalf.  I don't know that I've ever heard such a prayer.  It was humble, sincere, and mighty in beseeching the Lord to protect and heal her as she and we had done all in our power to serve Him and do all we could in providing this event to honor and remember the Sun family and keep a prophet's word that the Sun family name would only be spoken with respect and love from the Church.

The next day was Sunday and the miracle continued.  Sister Lindley came to church.  She had been able to sleep through the night and her pain was minimal.  Over the next few days her recovery continued. Now, a week later, she is doing well, still bandaged, but with little pain and healing is taking place.

To me this is an astounding miracle.  I've been burned, in a very minor way, by hot oil and know how painful it is and how long it keeps being painful.  Today was Fast and Testimony Meeting at church.  Sister Lindley stood and shared a powerful testimony of her experience, described here as best as I could record her own words:

"As I've been serving here at Martin's Cove I've prayed that I would feel what the Saints here felt and understand what they went through.  I woke up Saturday night after my accident at 1am and I could feel what Elizabeth Horrocks Jackson felt as her husband had died and she was left with three young children alone and far from her home - how desperate, sad, and lonely she was.  I felt what others felt as their limbs were frozen and how desperate they were for help.  I felt the comfort of knowing the Savior then, and that He was with them as well.  I felt peace come over me and I was able to sleep the rest of the night.  It is an honor and privilege to serve here and I know the Savior lives.  He is as real to me as each of you are.  I have felt His love and know He wants us to do what we're doing here."

I had the privilege of praying through that night for Sister Lindley.  I felt somewhat responsible for the accident as I was so intent on getting the food prepared and out to the service lines that I really wasn't paying attention to the cooking conditions.  It had never occurred to me to check the floor for oil.  I recognized that had I paid better attention this accident might have been avoided.  As I tossed and turned throughout the night I must have asked Heavenly Father 15-20 times that she be protected, healed, and kept from suffering because of my negligence.  I thanked Him that she had been able to go home and prayed for a miracle to heal her wounds.  I cannot tell you the shock and relief I felt in seeing her at church.  I couldn't keep the tears from my eyes.  I believed my prayers could be answered, but just seeing her there after what had happened just hours before was more than I expected.

I learned the next day that her blouse was ruined as it had a burned section across her back and side where she had fallen against the hot griddle.  She has no burns anywhere on her body except her arm and hand.  What a wonderful tender mercy of the Lord has been her healing and recuperation.  Although Sister Lindley still has healing to take place, and her skin has started to peel off her arm and hand, she is a living testimony of the power of the priesthood and the power of prayer.



We learned months ago of a similar experience of one of the Martin handcart pioneers, thirteen year old Mary Barton.  As she was traveling in from England 1856 on the ship Horizon she had boiling hot soup accidentally poured down her back.  She testified of her experience of having a priesthood blessing and how the pain left her and she was healed without problems.  I know we witnessed a similar miracle in the protection and care of Sister Lindley as she served the Lord here at Mormon Handcart Historic Sites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment